I have noticed that mixing patterns seems to be an epic style problem for men, another which is how to match colors. Instead of them mixing patterns, many prefer to just play it safe by sticking to pattern-less outfits.
Overtime I have had people ask me – is it ok to wear stripes on stripes? How can I mix two different prints together? If you ask this type of question often, then I think this article is for you.
Pulling off the pattern on pattern look may seem like a daunting task, but trust me, it can be done. Sure, you can’t go wrong by playing it safe, but can you settle knowing you haven’t peaked your style potential?
Apart from the fact that pattern-less outfits sometimes appear boring, experimenting with patterns introduces not only dimension but also sophistication to your overall look.
But how do we know which prints to mix and match and which ones to ditch?
I am going to reveal to you in five ways, guidelines that if duly observed can elevate your status from mixed up to mixed-master.
- SIZE MATTER Avoid pairing two patterns of the same size. The contrast in size allows one to standout over the other.
- MAINTAIN THE SAME FAMILY OF COLOURS
If you are a fashion first timer, keeping you shirt and tie in the same colour family can influence your style. The different shades of the same colours dramatically contrast with each other causing cohesion.
- OPPOSITIES ATTRACT I know I said we should keep it in the same family of colours. But if you are feeling confident in your pattern-pairing abilities, think outside the box by introducing complimentary colours. When complimentary colours are placed side by side, they intensify each other. Think blue and yellow.
- CREATE A FOCAL POINT: Give people something to stare at! Make one print noticeably larger than the other, in other to create interest.
- SOLID IS GOOD As a general rule of thumb, when pairing suit, shirt and tie, one of the three pieces should remain solid. Preferably use a solid neutral colour to anchor the entire outfit and keep the look from getting too busy.
You know any more tips, please feel free to share.
- What No One Tells You About Mixing Patterns. - March 25, 2017
- 3 Style Attention-Grabbing Tips To Attract Opportunities. - March 25, 2017
- Ultimate Style Guide For Short Men. - March 25, 2017
- What No One Tells You About Fabrics. - March 25, 2017
- Ultimate Men’s Guide To Underwears. - March 25, 2017
- How To Quickly Tell The Difference Between A Suit Jacket, Blazer and Sport Coat - March 25, 2017
- 4 Smart Style Strategies For Busy People. - March 25, 2017
- 10 Clever Things To Do When Buying A Suit. - March 25, 2017
- Beginners Guide To Buying A Suit - March 25, 2017
- WHAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT STYLE - November 7, 2016